Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tiny Cups of Happiness - Honey Joys!

Few years ago, I have tasted this lovely cornflakes snack when visiting my Malay friend during Hari Raya. It's funny that I never had this snack during Chinese New Year visiting to my family and friends. And yet, some friends had been telling me that this was actually quite a popular snack for the kids during Chinese New Year.

Oh well, since I don't get to eat them at relatives and friends' places during Chinese New Year, I might as well do it myself.  As I started looking around for recipes, it was to my surprise that this snack actually has such a lovely name: Honey Joys! 

Most of the recipes available are quite similar. And I had gone through quite a few of them before deciding on my own concoction. The ingredients for making these tiny cups of happiness are very simple: cornflakes, butter, honey & sunflower seeds.


Honey Joy Ingredients:

50g cornflakes 
15g unsalted butter
1 tbsp honey
30g sunflower seeds


This recipe makes about 32 tiny cup of happiness.
They are baked in my Morris tabletop oven.

How to do:

1. Place the butter and honey into a mixing bowl and melt them over water bath. Stir till well combined.
2. Lightly crush the cornflakes into smaller pieces
3. Toss the cornflakes and sunflower seeds in the honey butter mixture.
4. Scoop the tossed up ingredients into the mini baking cups.
5. Bake in preheat oven at 140 degree with fan on for 10 minutes.
6. Let them cool and store in airtight container.

honey-conflakes-sunflower-seeds-cookies
:: Honey Joys ~ Happiness Overload ::

At the request of my hubby who is a chocolate addict, I did a chocolate version just for him. Not sure what is the name for the chocolate version but I shall call it 'Chocolate Joy'!

Chocolate Joy Ingredients:

50g cornflakes
15g unsalted butter
60g semi-sweet chocolate
Some colour sprinkles 

This recipe makes about 25 tiny cup of chocolate happiness.
No baking is required.


Chocolate-Honey-Joy
:: Chocolate version of Honey Joys ::


How to do:

1. Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt them with butter in a mixing bowl over water bath. Stir till well combined.
2. Lightly crush the cornflakes into smaller pieces
3. Toss the cornflakes in the chocolate butter mixture.
4. Scoop the tossed up ingredients into the mini baking cups.
5. Sprinkle some color sprinkles on it (this is to jazz up the appearance, can omit if desired)
5. Place in the fridge for about 15 - 20 minutes or till they are set.
6. Store in airtight container.


*********


Hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well In Flanders 
and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House

2 comments:

  1. I have seen these snacks being served during CNY, but not with sunflower seeds. The addition of sunflower seeds is really a good idea, healthy and crunchy ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe.. Yeah.. I love the honey sunflower seeds so thought adding to the cornflakes will turn out very well.

    ReplyDelete