Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Apple Crumble Rose Tarts ~ Rose Rose I love you!


After the pretty pretty mango rose, I am addicted to create beautiful rose using fruits. This time round I am creating apple rose to go with one of my favourite dessert ~ apple crumble.


:: My version of apple crumble ~ with apple rose ::


Apple Fillings Ingredients:
(fills 8 tarts shells)

2 red apples
1 green apple 
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 and 1/2 tsp white sugar
2 cup and 2 tbsp water

How to do:

1. Dice the apples and set aside a portion of the diced red apple (approx. 1/2 apple)
2. In my Toshiba rice cooker, add 2 cups of water, lemon juice, and the diced red & green apple and hit the 'cook' button as if cooking rice.
3. By the end of the 'cook' cycle, the apples will be mushy like applesauce.
4. Transfer the applesauce into a saucepan, add the remaining portion of diced red apple and 2 tbsp water.
5. Using medium low heat, further cook the apples till the water has been reduced and the diced red apple slightly soft. Add more water if required to soften the diced apple, be careful not to burn the applesauce.
6. Set aside for later use.

:: Apple sauce with soften diced apple ::
* I used rice cooker to make the apple sauce because I was lazy to watch fire on stove. Rice cooker is very efficient in turning apple into applesauce without burning it.
** I use green apple because I prefer some sourness in my apple crumble
*** Amount of sugar is subjective, depending on individual taste-buds and whether the apples are sweet. Taste and adjust the sweetness accordingly.


 Apple Rose Ingredients:
(makes 8 roses)

2 red apples (*Use the very red apples for a nicer color hue.)
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 and 1/2 cup water

How to do:

Check out this video that I had created on how to make the apple rose:




Crumbles Ingredients:

25g salted cold butter, cut into small pieces
45g all-purpose flour

How to do:

1. Press the cold butter into the flour using fingertips till resemble breadcrumbs

*Most recipe I found require 1:1 ratio for butter and flour but I could not get breadcrumbs texture using that ratio so I added more flour.

:: Crumbles should resemble breadcrumbs ::


For the tart shells, I am re-using the recipe for my mango pudding tarts as it is foolproof for me!
Instead of fully bake them, I half baked them before adding the apple fillings & crumbles.

Tart Shell Ingredients:
(makes 8 tart shells)

60g salted butter, softened & cut into small pieces
30g icing sugar
1 large egg yolk 
120g all purpose flour

How to do:

1. Cream the soften butter till it is smooth and pale yellow. I used hand whisk.
2. Add icing sugar and continue to cream till light and fluffy.
3. Add in the egg yolk nd continue to mix till well combined.
4. Sift in the flour in 3 installments, using a spatula, mix well for each addition till the mixture becomes a soft dough.
5. Shape the dough into a cylinder shape, wrap in cling wrap and place in the fridge for about 15 - 20min.
6. Remove the dough from the fridge and cut the dough into 8 equal portion.
7. Shape them into a ball and placed in the tart mould.
8. Press the dough ball in the center against the mould and push it up against the wall till its full height. After baking, the crust will expand slight above the mould and it is easier to remove from the mould.
9. Use a fork to poke holes at the base of the tart shells. This is to prevent the base from rising during baking.
10. Place them in a preheated oven and bake at 150 degree (on my Morris oven dial, real temperature should be about 170 degree) for 5 min.
11. Take out from the oven and set aside.

*DO NOT grease the tart mould, the tart shell can be easily removed with a gentle knock. Greasing the tart mould will cause it to stick to the mould instead.

:: Tart Mould ~ Size 3.5cm base 7cm top::


To assemble:

1. Egg wash the tart shells.
2. Scoop a bit of the apple fillings into the tart shells.
3. Place the apple rose into the center of the tart shell top of the applesauce.
4. Fill the side with more apple fillings.
5. Carefully sprinkle the crumbles onto the apple fillings area.
4. Bake in preheated oven at 150 degree (on my Morris oven dial, real temperature should be about 170 degree) for another 15-20 min or till the tart shell & crumbles are browned.


:: Just can't get enough of my pretty tarts ::

No comments:

Post a Comment